A couple innovations which I'd like to see happen in 2009:
1. Ubiquitous wireless LAN or something similar. I'm sick of not being connected, at least in major metropolitan areas.
2. Netbooks with usable keyboards, built in UMTS (for when there isn't ubiquitous wLAN), sufficient battery life and decent screens. Please Apple, do something!
3. Smartphones (specifically iPhones) which have batteries lasting more than a day.
4. Wireless everything. Outside of power, why should anything in my house or office be connected via cable to anything else?
5. Real-time traffic updates for connected GPS devices to avoid sitting and waiting.
6. Real-time parking information to guide you to a parking spot when arriving somewhere.
7. Location-based services which actually add value and don't simply let me know where a bunch of random people happen to be.
8. Twitter add-ons (or Twitter innovations) which truly take that service to the next level.
9. Roaming fees either going down for mobile service and specifically data rates or an app which truly allows me to circumvent the carrier.....Fring, Nimbuzz and co. just don't do it for me yet. (Shameless plug for Cellity.....they are headed in the right direction!)
10. A consolidation of social networks into one platform I can use to manage all my connections. I don't want to use LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Xing, MySpace and so forth. I want one, max two (i.e. one private and one for business use!)